Canada is a nation that is built on a culture of hockey. As more youth discover and play floorball they are immediately taken to its ease of learning, fast pace and exciting play. There are many synergies between ice hockey and floorball both physically and mentally. That said, floorball can also be enjoyed by non hockey players as it encompasses elements of many others sports, most notable soccer.
As floorball has begun to emerge across the country, passionate people have started clubs in their community:
AN AVERAGE FLOORBALL CLUB CYCLE (“The Challenge”)*:
- Clubs are not difficult to launch so many start quickly and with great passion and initial momentum.
- Usually one person is the catalyst in the club and they start to log many solo hours trying to build their club.
- The club owner usually has no plan, little if any support system nor the tools and resources to help promote their club and grow registrations.
- IF the club is fortunate to grow the workload significantly increases, mostly on the owner.
- The club, being void of systems (recruiting players, training referees/ coaches, and finding good volunteers) often starts to struggle and the owner finds themselves filling in void roles and becoming overwhelmed.
- Over time, the local club league begins to lag in their efforts to sustain regular play. Worse still burn out and/or life circumstances cause the owner to reconsider their time investment in running a floorball club.
- The owner concludes that they can no longer sustain the pace and their interest wanes.
- The club often becomes stale and may even fold
* Needless to say, not every floorball clubs becomes stale or folds. There are a few floorball clubs that have been around for a couple of years albeit they still depend heavily on the owner and are void of systems to reduce their vulnerability.
“Floorball is a perfect cross training activity for hockey players because it hones the skills and endurance needed to excel on the ice. Other benefits are that it’s a safe, easy to learn, and a ton of fun!”Joe DiPenta